Thursday 29 January 2015

Use your Vote!  She couldn’t
Sarah Parker Remond (1824-1894)
My stitched portrait shows Sarah outside 48 Bedford Square, the original home of Bedford College.  http://beginnings.ioe.ac.uk/begsholloway.html This website tells more about the College and women who founded it, many of whom campaigned against slavery and asked tor the vote 



Sarah travelled through Britain lecturing on the horrors of slavery in America at a time when Englishwomen rarely spoke in public. After supporting the Suffrage Petition in1866 she trained and practiced as a doctor

Sarah was the child of freed slaves, brought up in New York.   She and her brother campaigned against slavery. Once she went to the theatre and was thrown out because she was Black.  She took the theatre to court and won. She was unable to continue her education in New York so came over to London in the 1850’s to further her education at Bedford College and stayed with campaigners for women’s rights who were active in the women’s anti-slavery campaigns in Britain. She travelled round Britain as an acclaimed anti-slavery lecturer.  After signing the petition in she went to Florence where she trained and practiced as a doctor for many years.  

1 comment:

  1. Hello

    I just left you a message on Radical Hackney History page and decided I should persevere and try different ways of leaving a message here, just in case...success!
    I am currently researching Derby and Derbyshire women (who were born, lived or worked in the County or City) who signed the 1866 Petition. As you can imagine I am very happy to read your post on Emma Bemrose. I wondered if you could provide me with any of the other biographies you have on Derby and Derbyshire women (or direct me to a publication which I might use to fill in the blanks). I know there are 10 or 11 women living in the City/County at the time who signed but I can find very little about them and for some nothing at all. I am new at this! Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thank you
    Best Regards
    Sonya Robotham
    Derby

    ReplyDelete