Sunday 3 January 2010

Kate Fanny Ackland. Sarah Avery

I can't believe that it is so long since I wrote here. My new years resolution is to add a woman a day! If I do that I will still be going in five years' time.
My new strategy is to also enter any women whose family I can trace on a tree in Ancestry.com and lead their ancestors to this blog to celebrate their relative.

I have not been able to find out anything about Sarah Avery of Battle, Sussex. Many of the women who signed in Battle were shopkeepers in the High Street- but no trace of Sarah- But lets remember her here as one of the few women who can not be traced.

Kate Ackland is the second woman on the list., Kate was only twenty two when she signed, and living at 14 Buckingham Street, off the Strand in central London. The 1861 census shows her at home with her parents at Birkbeck House, Archway Road, Hornsey. Her father was a parliamentary election agent and she had an elder sister and four younger siblings. The family was well to do as they had two live-in servants, Eliza Travers and Elizabeth Meredith and the seventeen year old groom who slept over the stable. In 1871 Kate no longer lived at home

No comments:

Post a Comment